9801 Bissonnet St.,
Ste. K, Houston, TX 77036
monday - friday saturday9 a.m. - 6 p.m. 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
book an appointment
Preventive Dental Care
Preventive dental care can make the difference between a healthy and beautiful smile and a lifetime of dental problems. Keeping your teeth healthy and beautiful is simple. Daily brushing and flossing and regular visits to your dentist can make a world of difference. If you neglect your teeth, you may wind up having to spend time and money to get your teeth healthy again.
Preventing dental problems is much less expensive and time-consuming than having to deal with them. Here are a few tips from the American Dental Association (ADA) to help you keep your smile healthy and beautiful:
• Regular dental exams and cleaning. It is recommended that you visit your dentist twice per year for check-ups and deep cleanings. During your routine dental exam, x-rays of your teeth and gums are taken to check for cavities, gingivitis, gum disease and other issues beneath the gum line. Professional teeth cleaning is also essential to clean areas that are hard to reach with regular flossing and brushing. Dentists can see issues that are just beginning to form and take protective measures ensure that they do not worsen and cause additional problems.
• Proper at-home oral hygiene. Proper dental care at home can make a big difference. Brushing and flossing two times each day or after meals can help remove food particles, plaque and bacteria that can build up, causing serious problems like tooth decay and periodontal disease.
• Fluoride treatments. Fluoride treatments come in many forms including in toothpastes, mouthwashes, professional fluoride treatments and even in in public water fluoridation. Fluoride treatments are effective at both strengthening your teeth and helping stave off tooth decay and disease.
• Healthy diet. A healthy diet can play a big part in the health of your teeth. Eating sugary sweets or not getting enough calcium can increase the levels or your dental plaque, as well as your chance of developing tooth decay or periodontal disease.
• Avoid smoking and tobacco usage. Tobacco and smoking can cause your teeth to become discolored, as well as lead to oral cancer or gum disease. For the sake of your oral and overall health, it is best to avoid these substances to keep your teeth and gums healthy and attractive.
Periodontal disease can be a painful and damaging condition that can be easily avoided with some basic preventive care. By visiting your dentist regularly, brushing and flossing daily, and avoiding harmful foods and substances, you can keep your smile bright and healthy for a lifetime.